Steltman Jewellers has been rooted in The Hague since 1917. That was the year Johannes Steltman opened 'Joaillerie Artistique' at the Noordeinde 42a; his first jewellery business. From 1920, Steltman designed a beautiful collection of jewellery in his own studio, matching the quality of some of the famous names in the jewellery sector, such as Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels and Boucheron.
One of his most famous pieces is the silver tea set designed for the 1925 World Exhibition in Paris. This modernist tea set crafted with organic shapes provides a vehicle for some meticulous and exquisite craftsmanship. In 1959 Steltman designed a watch with brilliant-cut diamonds for Queen Juliana’s 50th birthday.
Numerous Steltman creations grace museum collections throughout the Netherlands and professional collectors always demonstrate a keen interest in his jewellery designs.
Steltman; a family-run business
Willem Bakker took over the jewellery business in 1961 and was later followed by his son. Steltman Jewellers moved to the Paleisstraat location in the 1960s. By 1973 the management of the business was in the hands of John van der Vet, the Amsterdam jeweller. Steltman then moved to Kneuterdijk 2a.
Steltman Jewellers has been run by Fred Brom since 1977. The shop moved to its current impressive premises at Plaats 26 in 1990. Brom has maintained the tradition in handmade jewellery with Steltman moving towards specialising in diamonds and coloured gemstones. The collection also welcomed new additions from recognised international brands such as Pomellato, Mattioli Gioielli and Seaman Schepps New York. Ultra-engineered mechanical watches, mostly Swiss made, have also been a prominent feature in the shop.
Steltman Watches opens its doors
Demand for high-end mechanical watches became such an accelerating phenomenon that the company decided to open a second location solely dedicated to superior quality, mostly Swiss made, mechanical watches. Steltman Watches opened at Noordeinde 15 in September 1999. The jewellers’ studio and the watchmakers’ workshop were also located at this address. Steltman Watches moved to a large building at Plaats 16 in 2015.
Since launching Steltman Watches in 1999, the second generation of the Brom family - Andrew and Reinier Brom - have also come on board at Steltman. Andrew is responsible for the day to day running of Steltman Watches, whilst designer/goldsmith Reinier is in charge of the jewellery studio.
Team of enthusiastic specialists
Our highly and widely trained team represents everything Steltman stands for with infectious enthusiasm. The team includes sales and organisation professionals, gemstone specialists, appraisers, goldsmiths and watchmakers. Our exclusive and continuously updated collections of both classic and modern jewellery and watches ensure that Steltman Jewellers and Steltman Watches have carved out a solid place on the map, both nationally and internationally.
For a century now, the name Steltman has grown to guarantee quality, style, professionalism and superb service and after sales care.